This is a question I hear everyday… “What does bathtub refinishing cost?” Seem like such a simple question, and I’m always inclined to reply with… “How long is a piece of string?” 🙂
What determines the cost?
There are many variables that determine the cost of a bathtub reglazing project. Primarily three: materials, labor, and local market value. These are the questions I ask my customers everyday:
- What is the condition of the existing bathtub?
- Is the bathtub fiberglass or steel enamel? Or maybe a cast iron clawfoot tub?
- Is there any chips or damage to the surface… or just discoloration and wear?
- By bathtub, do you mean bathtub and a surround, or just a tub?
- Is this a normal size bathtub or is extra large? Maybe a spa tub?
- When do you need it done? Right away, or is there some flexibility in the timing.
- Are there other projects in the house we will be doing as well, or just the tub?
- Do you want the tub to be standard white, or do we need to match a color?
- Are there any repairs that need to be done? Filling of chips and scratches? Pitting?
- Do we need to remove old caulk and come back the next day and re-caulk after the coatings have cured?
Okay, so what’s an average cost?
Then again, it’s really not all that complex. On average… most of the bathtubs that need reglazing are simply in need of a refresh. Worn by years of use, abrasive cleaning agents – and exposure of course to lots of water – most bathtubs just need a make-over to give new life to a perfectly good bathtub. For the most part this scenario is our typical daily job.
On average, our jobs cost anywhere from $295 to $395.
That’s because our business is located in Baltimore, Maryland and this is the competitive rate for bathtub refinishing. The national average for bathtub refinishing cost (per Home Advisor) is $461. With a typical range between $328 and $603.
As a business owner, I’m thinking – darn! We are in the low end for the national average. But at the same time, we feel our pricing is fair and we are able to do a good fair day’s work to provide a quality service.
Why choose refinishing over replacement?
That’s easy. Have you ever tried to remove and replace a bathtub? It’s no small task to be sure. First of all, you’ll need at least two people. Second, you’ll want to make sure you’re prepared to put in some serious labor – and clean up! – hours. And not to be left out – you will need to dispose of the old tub, which means a trip to the dump or the cost of a dumpster delivered to your home. All in all – that’s just to remove the old tub. The list is longer, but I won’t outline the full process here.
To be sure, reglazing your bathtub is a very smart, affordable alternative to replacing it.
There are MANY companies in our area that do what we do. We suggest you shop around for the best price with just a few recommendations for your search.
Do ask the following questions when you request and estimate:
- What is your warranty policy?
- Are you technicians trained and certified?
- What are your safety policies?
- Is caulk removal and re-application of caulk included?
- Is your company insured?
- What are the cost for repairs of cracks and more major damage?
- Do you guarantee your workmanship?
I hope this article was helpful! Please feel free to contact us with any questions. We would be happy to help you figure out your bathtub refinishing cost. 🙂